A delicious natto spin on a classic Italian dish!
- 1/4 pound penne
Natto tomato sauce:
- 5 tablespoons (rounded) natto
- 1 can of tomato in spring water, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 dried hot red pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sake (rice wine)
- 2 tablespoons miso, preferably hattyo miso
- Salt and black pepper
- 5 Japanese basil leaves, chopped (optional)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the penne and cook until al dente.
- Meanwhile, make the natto tomato sauce: Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over moderate heat. Add the garlic and hot red pepper and sauté briefly to release their fragrance.
- Add the onion and and sauté until they soften. Add a pinch of salt and black pepper, the tomato, and sake and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in the miso and natto. Taste and season with salt and black pepper.
- When the penne is done, drain it. Add the penne to the skillet and toss.
- Transfer the penne to a warmed serving bowl and sprinkle with the Japanese basil, if using. Serves 2.